Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous scientific advancements and new techniques emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the chance to minimize or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and quick way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be fooled by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser. Discover who will in fact do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. Discover another one if your medical professional will not tell you. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of getting less than skilled care!
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any physician who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are readily available. Ask your physician about them and learn this here now other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of millions of individuals around the world.